Smart Car

Forums > Ask the Expert anything about smart > Going over speed bumps!!!!

Going over speed bumps!!!!
Previous | 1 | Next

Hi all, I've just ordered a new CDi Passion and am looking forward to July when I can pick it up. I saw on this forum a few weeks ago that someone said that they take their smart car on all long journeys except for when speed bumps are involved, but didnt go on to explain what the problem is with speed bumps. I've only driven one for about 10 minutes, but I really cant think what the speed bump problem is...any ideas please? Many thanks

Really and I mean REALLY slow down for speed bumps in a smarty.

The wheel base length of a smart is so small that unlike other cars when the front wheels are on the flat when the rear wheels hit the same speed bump, the smarties have only just hit the flat, hence you tend to get a rocking motion or BIG bump when hitting them at over 15mph :)

Updated May 26, 2011 at 6:10 AM

--

Brabus Roadster Xclusive.
54mpg on average.

Now running a Night Orange 84hp Cab 36mpg on average.

Not necessarily the wheelbase but the track is the problem - distance between wheels on the axle. We have plenty of these pointless speed bumps in Sheffield (the preformed units dropped into a dugout in the road) and if there are two in the road I can drive more comfortably between two than if there are three and I have to 'climb' over one. I know the roads here very well and now vary my route if possible to avoid the long runs of bumps - for a Smart driver they are a complete and total pain. What damage are they doing to my tyres and suspension? A friend of mine has regular chats with his service garage who are constantly doing repairs to damaged suspension most likely due to so-called speed bumps. The potholes have taken over as speed deterrents but they are in addition to the bumps. The place is falling apart.

Foxy

Where I work, the road leading up to the railway crossing consistantly has potholes in it mainly caused by the 44ton trucks that are turning both left and right there.

If you find it damages a wheel and is more than 40mm deep then take a photograph of the offending pothole and damaged wheel then put a claim in to the local council.

I did this along with a few other truck drivers and the local council paid out over £700 for 2 new wheels for the Brabus.

Needless to say the potholes were repaired in less than 2 weeks.

--

Brabus Roadster Xclusive.
54mpg on average.

Now running a Night Orange 84hp Cab 36mpg on average.

Previous | 1 | Next

Jump to forum: Go

All forums are moderated and should not be used to promote businesses or products. Please create your own profile or group for this. We reserve the right to remove any comment we feel is inappropriate at any time.

smart login
Connect with Facebook